Thursday, December 11, 2014

I Didn't See That Coming

This will be a short one, but I wanted to share two events I didn’t see coming.

The first… the Rhea patch introduced Eve players to Thera, a system that CCP wanted to be the “Mos Eisley of Eve”, which would attract all sorts of seedy sorts to conduct illegal business and serve as a type of central hub for the wormhole community.

This system is a WH system.  Suffice to say, I was shocked – Shocked! – to discover that the first thing Eve players did was turn it into a giant killing field with 40 billion isk in destruction within the first 24 hours.

I was floored.  I was surprised beyond measure that such fine, upstanding citizens of the galaxy would resort to base devastation at the drop of the hat.  I mean, it’s not like null-sec is like th… err… I mean it’s not like WH space is… well… but low-sec doesn’t see…


Okay, so I wasn’t surprised.  You weren’t surprised.  I wonder if CCP was…

So, in reality, there’s only one occurrence I didn’t see coming.  As I type these words, this blog is surpassing 500,000 views.  It was only a month ago I reached 200,000 hits.  At first, I thought I was being hit by spam in some fashion… a bot that was routinely checking my blog for new content, for instance.  But when I looked at the data, I saw that the visits were distributed across the world in roughly the same proportions as before, and with daily cycles, much as you’d expect in a genuine trend.

The spike in daily hits coincided directly with my syndication on EveNews24 with such correlation that I can’t mark it down as a coincidence.  So, I’d like to give a heartfelt “Thanks!” to Bobmon for finding something in this blog he felt his audience would find enjoyable.

But, most of all, I offer you, dear reader, my most-sincere gratitude, not only for reading, but for taking the time to write comments and contribute to the discussion.  On a few very rare occasions, I rejected a comment (I’m not sure what “Poleski Kielbasa!” means…), but I’ve given the green light to 99% of comments.  Some of my favorite moments even came when people disagreed vehemently with me (most recently, DireNecessity!).

The fact that you comment tells me you find something worth spending your time on, and for that, I’m truly grateful.  I recognize your time is limited, and I'll work hard to earn every moment you spend reading.

Okay, that’s enough bromance.  No more view-count posts, I swear!  Back to murdering each other and writing about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment